Microsoft for Startups Canada Launches Partnership with Dream Legacy Foundation
Toronto, May 2020
Microsoft for Startups Canada is excited to announce a new partnership with Dream Legacy Foundation a philanthropic organization focused on accelerating growth and innovation within underrepresented startup groups in Canada. This collaboration takes an inclusive and intersectional approach to supporting diverse founders through a network of strategic supports and targeted programs and events that will bridge the gaps in existing resources, and maximize entrepreneurial success across these communities.
The Dream Legacy Foundation was created in 2017 with the goal of promoting economic inclusion of marginalized communities to create a more representative, sustainable and harmonious society. Dream Legacy Foundation works with seven Diversity Partners including, LGBTQA2S+, indigenous communities, people of colour, people with disabilities, female-identified founders, newcomers and refugees. This new partnership with Microsoft for Startups will directly support new and existing programming for the following partners in Canada:
- Access to Success – Access to Success hosts Canada's first and only bootcamp for startups serving people with disabilities
- Centre for Indigenous Innovation and Technology (CIIT) – CIIT’s mission is to provide programming that provides excellence in technology training, increases Indigenous representation in the tech industry in Canada, and promotes problems solving using technology with an Indigenous lens
- Jumpstart Refugee Talent – Jumpstart Refugee Talent focuses on the economic empowerment of newly settled refugees in Canada by connecting them to meaningful employment and entrepreneurial opportunities
- Scale Without Borders – a one-stop shop for newcomer tech entrepreneurs in Canada
- Venture Out – Canada’s first and largest tech & social impact organization (operating under parent non-profit, Start Proud) connecting LGBTQA2S+ people in tech to career opportunities, mentors, and each other
Microsoft for Startups Canada and Dream Legacy Foundation will work together to help accelerate, develop and build strong foundations for underrepresented founders in Canada to develop new innovative technology, develop strong technology and business foundations, and achieve scale.
“We understand the unique challenges faced by founders from underrepresented communities, and we are committed to working alongside them to overcome these challenges,” said Adam Nanjee, Managing Director of Canada for Microsoft for Startups. “Partnering with the Dream Legacy Foundation, allows us to continue to build the Canadian startup ecosystem where different communities at different stages of growth can learn from one another and provide insights to adapt and enhance their footprint to scale.”
"We are proud partners with the multiple programs throughout Canada, building a foundation necessary to move our communities forward. This inaugural collaboration with Microsoft for Startups is an important step in the right direction to see proper representation in the tech community for people of colour, women, LGBTQ+, immigrant, refugee, and accessibility-focused founders,” said Isaac Olowolafe, Founder, Dream Legacy Foundation.